ADJECTIVES AND ADVERBS (2)

I. Complete the idea of each sentence by filling up the blank with the most appropriate adverb that answers the question in the parenthesis.

1. They lived in Canada ____________________________________. (When?)
2. My brother ___________________________ comes late to school. (How often?)
3. She hurried to the mainland ____________________________. (Why?)
4. She moved _____________________ and spoke ____________________________. (How?)
5. She tries to get back _____________________________. (When?)
6. I ­­­­­­­­­_________________________________ go to the park with my dog. (How often?)
7. She works __________________________________. (When?)
8. The senator ran _______________________________ .(Why?)

II. Combine each pair of sentences. Use relative pronouns for adjectival clauses and conjunctions for adverbial clauses.

1. The child is my daughter. The child is making the most noise.

2. Anyone will be refused admission to the party. That person is not holding a valid ticket.

3. The book was on the table. I was reading the book.

4. . Mrs. Edwards is the teacher. Everyone respects the teacher.

5. Where is the man? You were talking to the man.

6. Spalding is the architect. I was using the architect's design.

7. He is the man. You should see the man.

8. We need a place. We can meet in the place.
9. I would give a small fortune. I could have been a fly on the wall when they met.

10. Johan would be ashamed. He drove an economy car.

Adjectival Clauses and Phrases: Change the second sentence of each pair into a. an adjectival (i.e., relative) clause and b. a participial phrase.
1. The child is my daughter. The child is making the most noise.a. The child who is making the most noise is my daughter.b. The child making the most noise is my daughter.
2. Anyone will be refused admission to the party. That person is not holding a valid ticket.a. Anyone who is not holding a valid ticket will be refused admission to the party.b. Anyone not holding a valid ticket will be refused admission to the party.
Change the second sentence into an adjectival (i.e., relative) clause with special attention to grammar and punctuation. Items in parentheses below are optional.
1. The book was on the table. I was reading the book.The book (which) I was reading was on the table.
2. Mrs. Edwards is the teacher. Everyone respects the teacher.Mrs. Edwards is the teacher (whom) everyone respects.
3. Where is the man? You were talking to the man.Where is the man (whom) you were talking to?or Where is the man to whom you were talking?
4. Spalding is the architect. I was using the architect's design.Spalding is the architect whose design I was using.
Adjectival
1. He is the man. You should see the man.a. He is the man (whom) you should see.b. He is the man (for you) to see.
2. We need a place. We can meet in the place.a. We need a place which we can meet in.or We need a place in which we can meet.or We need a place where we can meet.b. We need a place to meet.
Adverbial
1. I would give a small fortune. I could have been a fly on the wall when they met.a. I would give a small fortune if I could have been a fly on the wall when they met.b. I would give a small fortune to have been a fly on the wall when they met.
2. Johan would be ashamed. He drove an economy car.a. Johan would be ashamed if he drove an economy car.b. Johan would be ashamed to drive an economy car.

Subordination conjunctions
after, before, until, while, because, since, as, so that, in order that, if, unless, whether, though, although, even though, where

No comments:

Post a Comment